Ebbe's Sudoku Solver Detail Page
Here is a useful Excel spreadsheet for anybody who has problems with Sudoku.
- Open the file as read-only - then the Solution Area is unspoiled when you open the file next time
- Enter the problem in the Problem Area
- Enter the green, single proposals from the Proposals Area into the Solution Area
- If it is a difficult problem the spreadsheet cannot produce single proposals during all steps. Any Sudoku game has only one solution, so keep on trying till you find it.
- Whenever you make a choice between two proposals, make a note and be preparet to regret.
- If a cell in the proposals area show an error "##" then regret: Go back and change one of your choices.
- Enjoy yourself!
The Proposals Area
This Excel file is checking your solution and can provide hints for the solution if there are only one or two possible digits in a square:
- If the square's background is green there is only one possible proposal. Example: Square D4 below.
- If the square's background is yellow both digits are possible solutions. Example: Square D5, where both "1" and "4" are valid values. Only one of them is true, however!